The Mauritius Postal Services issued on the 25th January 2000 a set of 4 triangular stamps to mark the 150th Anniversary of the Mauritius Chamber of Commerce and Industry. This was the first time ever triangular stamps were issued in Mauritius.
The Chamber was set in 1850 and is the oldest non-profit making institution of the Private Sector in the country. Originally known as 'Chamber of Commerce', it took the name of 'Mauritius Chamber of Commerce and Industry' in 1965, at a time when Mauritius was moving towards independence and rapid industrialisation.
The R1 stamp illustrates the Coat of Arms of the MCCI. The Chamber's motto, which appears on the Coat of Arms, is 'Non nobis. sed patrie', which means 'Not for ourselves, but for our motherland'. The blue and yellow colours symbolise trust, confidence and optimism.
The Rs2 stamp symbolises new technologies and the perception of the Chamber for the future.
The Rs7 represents a painting of Mr. Francis Channell who was the first secretary of the Chamber from 1850 to 1872, year of his death.
The last stamp, of denomination Rs15, features Mr. Louis Léchelle: the first President of the Chamber, from 1850 to 1853.
The FDC illustrates the façade of the seat of the MCCI in Port Louis.